Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Sheltering Wisdom from Books



My son, eat honey because it is good,
And the honeycomb which is sweet to your taste;14 
So shall the knowledge of wisdom be to your soul.
Proverbs 24:13

Recent blog posts from my friends Rebecca and Glenda inspired me to share some wisdom I've gathered from my Barnes-and-Noble-fix yesterday. I had only three hours in my home away from home. Was it enough time for me to settle in and peruse my chosen stack? 

I am adding Glenda's disclaimer--When I recommend a book, I am assuming you are going to put your thinking cap on as you read. Take the good and leave the rest.


Patience: The Art of Peaceful Living by Allen Lokos. While this book was based on Buddhism, there were still thought-provoking nuggets to glean. Lokos quoted a friend, "Just about every mistake I have ever made and every unkind word I have ever spoken might have been avoided if I had been more patient." He then offers five questions to determine patience in our speech.

1. Do I speak at the right time?
2. Do I speak factually?
3. Do I speak gently?
4. Do I speak words that will benefit?
5. Do I speak with a kind heart?

Home: What it Means and Why it Matters by Mary Gordon.  Gordon used Christian Morgenstern's quote, "Home is not where you live, but where they understand you."



I AM changes who i am by Greg Matte. I quickly realized I wanted to read every word of this book, and it was added to my "To Read" list.  


"Unfortunately, instead of basking in the miraculous, some people spend their days trying to figure out how to turn the wine back into water." (Chapter One, First Miracle: H2O to Merlot)


Thrift Store Graces: Finding God's Gifts in the Midst of the Mess by Jane Knuth.  Knuth spent 17 years volunteering at the St. Vincent de Paul thrift store in Kalamazoo, MI.  She uses her experiences as an opportunity for God to teach her some of life's richest lessons.  


One of Knuth's friends told her, "God saves people. That's his job, not yours."  In thinking of her words, Knuth mused, My job is to comfort, clothe, listen and pay a few bills. I give out hugs, prayers and money, not salvation from sin. She wrote, "It is one of those moments when the curtain between heaven and earth feels thinner than usual."


Book of Inspiration: in the studio and behind the scenes with extraordinary women by Jo Packham and Jenny Doh.  Another book I'd love to own.  Each picture is like a mini vacation.  One of the women they showcase is Connie Govea Stuart.  When Connie encounters a creative rut, she finds herself getting her groove back by making a heart-felt gift for someone in her life.  "Everyone likes to receive happy mail that is unexpected and it always helps me get centered when I am able to create something that will lift up someone in my life.


I also glanced through a few of my favorite magazines: Molly Makes (packaged with a card of vintage inspired buttons), Art Journaling and Artful Blogging.  In Artful Blogging Becky Cunningham of Buckets of Burlap wrote of her mother, "...I soaked up every ounce of information and advice from her.  But most importantly she taught me about having a relationship with the Lord.  She was my prayer warrior."  




My time passed all too quickly, but the nuggets of beauty and wisdom came home with me.  The wisest man of all times said, It takes wisdom to build a house, and understanding to set it on a firm foundation; It takes knowledge to furnish its rooms with fine furniture and beautiful draperies (Proverbs 24:3-4).  Three hours may not be long, but I put a few nails in my house, smiled upon my foundation, rearranged some furniture and hung some draperies.  The books sheltered me and I intend to use the sheltering to bless other. 
Linked to 




18 comments:

Tracy said...

Pamela,
I love the comment by Glenda-to put your thinking cap on, etc...gosh, so true! I can never get enough time in book stores. I ant to read them all!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Hey, thanks for the sweet mention.

It has been much to long since I spent some leisurely time browsing through stacks of books at B & N.

Now ... you have me wanting to check out all of your wonderful finds.

Fondly,
Glenda

Esther Asbury said...

I took my "stack" to the kids section and browsed them while my daughter browsed the kids books! It was twice as much fun with a friend along.....

My favorite quote from your trip is:
"God saves people. That's his job, not yours." In thinking of her words, Knuth mused, My job is to comfort, clothe, listen and pay a few bills. I give out hugs, prayers and money, not salvation from sin."
Thanks for sharing some inspiration with us today!

Esther Joy said...

I don't think I've ever spent 3 hours in a bookstore, but it sounds like a wonderful idea. I have been making frequent trips to our lovely new library, though.

I liked those 5 questions, and found it interesting how you gleaned from all types of authors.

HeARTworks said...

Hi Pamela, I loooove books too, problem is, same as visiting blogs and commenting, TOO LITTLE TIME! Played a little game and chose just ONE from your stack. I think I'd like to take home the one by Greg Matte! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Virginia said...

I love spending time at Barns & Noble…I haven't read any of those books but they sound great! I'll have to check them out.

Lyli said...

Love books. Great post with nice suggestions.

Traci Michele said...

Nice to meet you! Your blog is gorgeous!!!

Love, Traci Michele @ Ordinary Inspirations

Anonymous said...

Have I ever mentioned that I love book posts? I'm not wishing away the time with my girls, but when they're away from home, I'm so going to BN for 3 hours of browsing! :)

Wendy @ ECTaS said...

Hi Pamela

Thank you for the encouraging comment you left on my blog today.

Thank you also for the following quote: "God saves people. That's His job, not yours." In thinking of her words, Knuth mused, My job is to comfort, clothe, listen and pay a few bills. I give out hugs, prayers and money, not salvation from sin."

This is so true and a great point you drew out of that particular book.

Wendy @ ECTaS

Anonymous said...

I could spend all day in a book store ...and spend ALL my money ....LOL enjoyed your posting. I really liked the one about people trying to turn the wine back into water.....the wine being a bit to much for them to experience....let's just stay with the water....wow that will preach

Ruth said...

Thanks for reviewing some books for us. I'm always glad to know of good reads. The Greg Matte book does sound very interesting. People do try and take the miracle out of the miraculous. May he increase our faith as we live in this unbelieving world.
I receive the blessing of being sheltered here on your blog-again!
Have a great week!

Karen said...

"Unfortunately, instead of basking in the miraculous, some people spend their days trying to figure out how to turn the wine back into water."...yes..this book will go on my "to read" list...

Thank for sharing your gleanings...the saying is so true...so many books...so little time....

Courtney said...

Thanks for this great list. Time alone in a good bookstore is such a treat!

Laura said...

Pamela, this sounds like time well spent :). And now I must add a couple more names to that ever-growing "to read" list.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

I am so delighted to have come by today. As always I could spend hours here reading as I love to do in a book store.
Great find for all of us to enjoy.
Love
Maggie

The Dickinsons said...

Pam, this was a fun and good post.

I have been wanting to leave you a comment for several weeks now, but being a busy missionary's wife, and mother of 5, I'm just now getting to do it. =)

Our family was able to watch all of the IHC services from our home in Colombia, South America. My girls and I surely enjoyed getting to hear your sister and you speak at the WOW meeting. We were so SADDENED (and I cried) listening to y'all tell the UNREAL things that have come into both of your lives. But, I LOVED the way that you both are CHOOSING JOY in your life! Thank y'all for keeping joyful in the midst of such SAD situations that y'all have had to/are still facing! Y'all's talk was very inspiring!

My Mother-in-LOVE suffers from what you suffer from (firbomyalgia) and CODED 3 times our first year here in Colombia. The doctor had put her on 2 different VERY STRONG drugs that one is NEVER supposed to mix...and she her heart stopped 3 times. They were able to bring her back, praise the Lord! She still suffers and lives in Pain, but we are so GLAD she is still with us.
I'm so sorry that you live with such pain as well! I hope and pray that today is one of your better days. =)

(((HUGS)))
~Heather~

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Yep, I know what you mean when you say a home away from home.

Looks like you had FUN! Such intresting treasures to put on your bedside table. Happy reading!

BTW, I loved Glenda's quote about reading with one's thinking cap on. A great disclaimer for when we recommend a book to someone else.