Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Shelter of Home


My home is in heaven; I'm just passing through this world. 
                          ~Billy Graham

This child, my Emily, how I miss her! Her summer job keeps her in Indy during the week. Daily texts and phone calls keep us in touch, but it doesn't take the place of knowing she's tucked under her music note comforter or curled up across from me reading.

I do know her job is a direct answer to prayer. Last year, I prayed for a summer job in a positive environment and I prayed for a mentor for Emily's college years. God gave me an "over and above" answer by combining the prayers into one. Don't you just love answers that are "exceedingly abundantly beyond what we could ask or think?" Sometimes I feel so spoiled by my Heavenly Father.

So we count the days and celebrate our time together on the weekends. Today I had fun getting ready for her.

The lamps were lit and candles burning...
                  

Favorite treat and reading material waiting...

Table ready for Chinese supper...



Facebook conversation from this week:

Me: Tomorrow it will be one more sleep. Then I'll bring you home and feed you crumpets and tea.

Emily: Haha! Dry ones, I trust. Chocolate-covered and crunchyyyy.

Me: Crumpets aren't dry. Scones are. And definitely chocolate covered. Dark, because it's good for you.

Emily: Definitely dark, because it's my favorite now. And hopefully strooooong tea. My pinky's already up!


Me: They're sorta like pancakes and pancakes aren't dry. Besides, we're drizzling (read pouring) chocolate on them. 

Emily: Ooh ooh ooh...how about that new recipe? [Magic Chocolate that hardens on frozen foods] Of course, we could freeze the crumpets. Or maybe we could just buy those pre-frozen pancakes.

Me: Something tells me the English didn't use frozen pancakes.

Emily: So we will start a new tradition! I'll bring the Amish books! ♥

Me: Don't forget your hat and accent, mah dear!


So of course, this Momma had to make crumpets for dessert. Can we say delicious?


Oh how happy I am to look over and see Emily curled under a blanket, Kindle in hand, reading. She stops to laugh at her dad's funny stories, looks up to tell me something a daycare child said and decides crumpets are her new favorite food. She's home--and this momma loves it.

All day, as I prepared for Emily to come home, Heaven has been on my mind. Margaret Baxter asks, "
Why should my heart be fixed where my home is not? Heaven is my home; God in Christ is all my happiness: and where my treasure is, there my heart should be."


I have to think that Jesus is going to be happy when I get to my Heavenly home. I know He's preparing it for me--it's a mansion, you know, this home with its streets of gold and gates of pearl. Jasper, emeralds, topaz, sapphires and more--such beauty in its foundation. The light of the glory of God will shine on the jewels, sending streaks of color across those golden streets. And oh, the banquet He's planning will make my crumpets taste like overdone veggies.

Just imagine Jesus, standing at those pearl gates, welcoming us home. 2 Peter 1:11tells us, "Therefore, my brothers and sisters...you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."  

Joni Erickson Tada said,  "What makes heaven exciting to me is being with the Lord Jesus where I will be perfectly and utterly at home."

Heaven -- where my heart is, where Jesus lives and where I'll be "perfectly and utterly" at home.

 



24 comments:

Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com said...

Very sweet post...I remember those days when my children and I were first separated. Hard it is! I love the J.E.Tada quote about being fully home in heaven. Thanks for sharing this on B&BB at Bible Love Notes. May you enjoy your weekend with your daughter fully.

joy said...

I can realte to you being a mother myself. My youngest daughter who is still living with us said one day that when she leaves, she will miss my chicken curry and would love that I served it when she comes home for a visit. when it come to our heavenly home, I prefer to live in a nipa hut in heaven surrounded by plants, trees and flowers and a waterfall nearby.I believe God has a paradise for each and everyone of us:)

Rebecca said...

That sounds like home to ME, too, Pamela. Glad you had your "Emily time". It sounds perfect. I just am regrouping after a few days with two of our daughters (and 5 grandchildren). Sweet & full & exhausting time -- all three!

Unknown said...

SO sweet, love this :)

Nikki (Sarah) said...

your relationship with your dgt is beautiful. Glad you both got to spend some quality time together.....

Lisa notes... said...

Your daughter is so beautiful, Pamela. I'm glad God answered your prayers for her beyond what you could imagine. But I know you still miss her. Sounds like you have such a fun relationship.

Those Cheese Nips are calling my name. ;-) And chocolate covered crumpets.

Virginia said...

When I read your post I can feel how much love you have in your heart... your words are like a shower of Love.

Renee said...

What a beautiful relationship you have with your daughter. How precious that you have such memorable times together....and yes going home to Heaven will be wonderful too!

Ruth said...

Enjoyed reading about your anticipation on having your daughter home. I can identify. It was fun to read the facebooking you included. We have so much to look forward to going to our heavenly home. You said it-I am so spoiled by my heavenly Father.
The crumpets look scumptious!
Thanks,
Ruth

enthusiastically, dawn said...

Wow, that is just a sweet mama, share. Will you adopt me? ;)

Charlotte said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I know what lies ahead for those who love the Lord just defies all imagination, but we can still imagine in our finite way what it will be like. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Laurie Collett said...

Beautiful post, Pamela! I love the Billy Graham and Joni quotes, and how you spoil your daughter! come quickly, Lord Jesus, so we can all be forever at home with Him!
God bless, Laurie

Esther Asbury said...

Your post and something Wayne said in his message yesterday make me excited and homesick for Heaven.....our Real Home!
(You should ask your niece and namesake about our "talks on Heaven" sometime ....and to think it's above and beyond what we have "imagined!")
BTW - I love that song...one of my favorites!

Cherry Warrick said...

Enjoy your visit with your daughter home! And thanks for your visit to my blog - and the comment left ...

Cathy said...

Emily is beautiful. I know you are so glad to have her home. You are blessed to share such wonderful love with her. I loved that song too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by Pamela. She is a lovely one isn't she? - Maybe next weekend you can join us for Weekend Wrap-Up!

Countrified Hicks said...

I'm your newest follower. So glad you stopped by my blog so I could find yours. :-) BTW, I also have a FB page. Stop by there sometime and say "hi".
http://www.facebook.com/countrifiedhicks

Courtney said...

You're making me appreciate the things my mom used to do to welcome me home in a whole new way now. What a lovely post! And to think about Jesus doing the same for us . . . such a wonderful thought.

Denise said...

Such a precious, heart touching post.

Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com said...

What a lovely post! I am glad I was able to stop by your blog :) I love how you write of you daughter and her relationship to her family. I thank the Lord He is preparing this wonderful place for us! I am looking forward to His trumpet sound!! Bless you and bless Emily!! Thank you for your sweet comment, too :)

Karen said...

We treasure the moments with our grown-up kids, don't we! God bless you.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

You are the best Mom, Pamela! How special that you get everything all ready and make sure that Emily knows how much you look forward to seeing her. I know the blessing goes both ways too.

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit; I've been thinking about you and was getting ready to do the same.

Hugs,

Kathy M.

Unknown said...

awww, so very sweet. I have 3 boys - I can't imagine what it's like to have a daughter but you make it sound pretty special ;) I love my boys - they are pretty special too!

The Dickinsons said...

Pam, this was a super fun post. Oh, how HAPPY I am that Jesus sent you your Emily! It sounds like y'all have a blast together! =) (I was SO EXCITED when Jesus sent you Emily. I remember probably embarrassing you half to death by kissing your "Emily baby Bump" in the GBS girl's dorm parlor...back when I was in college there. =)

Yes, good application about Heaven. Oh, I want to go there and take LOTS of people with me...especially my family!
(((HUGS)))
~Heather~