Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Shelter of Rest

We can be tired, weary and emotionally distraught, but after spending time alone with God, we find that He injects into our bodies energy, power and strength. ~Charles Stanley


Last night was our grandsons' school program. Not only did they sing in their group, but both of them played piano duets with their mother. Ethan is 8 and Landon is 6. Like any grandparents, we were excited to be there.

Auntie was, too, and she was the designated picture-taker. She does her job well, but this time when she turned the camera on, I saw the words, batteries exhausted, come across the screen. For a moment I thought it was talking about me. My batteries have sure been exhausted lately.

Vince Lombardi said, "Fatigue makes cowards of all of us." And that is true. Everything looks bigger than it actually is. Every problem is magnified.

Here are a few things that help me when I'm exhausted:

1. Spend time with God. When we're busy, our time with God becomes more rote-like. I find if I can spend time with my Heavenly Father, my soul feels refreshed, and that refreshing splashes over to every area of my life.

2.  Take time to rest.  My mornings have been a shame to my Cessna roots.  Gone are the days of rising at 4:00.  I'm sleeping longer, taking a nap here and there and popping the energy vitamins.   When my Dr. told me I needed 10 hours of sleep, I laughed.  I thought we only needed 8 -- and I don't get even that.  But I'm trying to get a few more winks.

3.  Accomplish something. That may see like a strange way to become rested, but if there's something I can cross off my list, it helps me cope. Today it was writing. I've put the last project to bed until after the new year. But sometimes it's as simple as straightening a room or baking the cookies.  

Of course this can also be completed by simply crossing something off your list that isn't important to the grand scheme of things. Will Jonathan's parents really care if the lamp globes were just cleaned? or Will the kids care if I don't make three kinds of fudge? I've found that I often bring pressure on myself doing things unimportant to those I'm doing them for.

4.  Spend time with friends. We are spending the weekend with ministry friends. I may feel too tired to pack a suitcase, but once we get there, I know I'll be able to relax in Sue's beautiful home. She'll have the decorations up, candles lit and our beds ready for rest. Ben will have us laughing and the music RB and Ben play will pull our minds from to-do lists and focus them on the beauty of the greatest gift ever given -- Jesus.

I entered the Christmas season with dreams of a relaxed holiday season. I had most of my shopping finished early, some packages wrapped and the house decorated. But if I'm not careful, all my to-do lists will rob me of the joy of Advent, the beauty of little faces eager to unwrap packages, and the miracle of Christ's birth.  

Let's all take time this week to pull away from to-dos and spend extra time with God. To rest, accomplish tasks and spend time with friends who share our love of the Christ Child. Let's have a real CHRISTmas and honor God's gift.
Linked to


23 comments:

Nikki (Sarah) said...

great advice...going to take it. Hope your weekend shines and that your reenergize your battery in the Son

BelovedBomber said...

great advice packed full of wisdom. I need to put some more of this in to practice. Enjoy your break! Be Blessed!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love your practical ideas. We all need more rest. Hope you get a few 10 hour nights.

Fondly,
Glenda

Elizabethd said...

Those to-do lists really sap ones energy, I find.
Have a restful break with your friends, and come back refreshed.

Denise said...

Amen, wonderful advice.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

As we get older we think we will have more time for the things we enjoy to do most, and yet, they still seem to evade us. When I was at University I studied the Jewish faith. One thing I discovered was about their Sabbath. They keep it fully. No work, nothing at all accept rest and eat from Sunset Friday night until sunset Saturday night. The amazing thing with this is that few, and that is rarely...will a Jew suffer from depression. We need out rest, and we need our work and it all needs to be done in the right way. Much love Crystal xx

Esther Asbury said...

I'm going to make your last paragraph a priority this week! Thanks for the timely reminder!
ENJOY your week-end -- and REST!

Nancy McCarroll said...

I am going to church this morning. I will try to spend some time with God there and remove distractions from my mind.

We have had some diverse opinions among the liturgical committee and as I look on those decorations, I will try to focus on what God wants for me. Not on what I want to do with liturgical vestments...

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hello Pamela,

What fun to see your grandkids' show. I also appreciated your reminder to take rest and to spend time with God and with friends.

Have a great week.

Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Unknown said...

Amen, Pamela, AMEN! Your comment about 3 kinds of fudge in #3 reminded me of a funny story about my grandmother and the year we discovered she had simplified years before - switching from totally from scratch, hand-rolled noodles for Christmas to frozen noodles - and we never ever noticed. We all still had just as enjoyable time and wonderful memories and she had an easier time. What a grand example :) Have a blessed week in this lovely Advent season.

Marianne said...

I love your advice on how to re-charge. I think I need it!

My sons also did a piano duet last night (they're 8 & 7). It's funny...I never thought I could find such joy in listening to slightly off-tune songs in a crowded church on a Saturday night. Now? A perfect evening as far as I'm concerned.

Denise said...

I have had many of these same thoughts this Christmas season, and am striving not to get caught up in the business and rush of the holidays (like I usually do!) A perfect post for this time of year; God must remain first in everything we do!

Blessings and love Pamela!
Denise

Christina said...

I know that exhaustion well. These are all helpful tips when faced with those low batteries. And especially so this time of year! www.toshowthemjesus.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for these helpful tips. I have to remind myself that sometimes small changes can make a big difference in the way I feel. It's easy to forget though :)

Courtney said...

Oh, these are such wise words and really helpful tips. "Battery exhausted" could describe me on many days! I'm going to follow your advice this morning and thank you for it :)

Little Birdie Blessings said...

I totally agree with you Pamela. Praying you get the rest you need and the time of refreshment will come. Thank you for reminding us all that time with God is the way for true refreshment. ~ Abby

joy said...

Amen to that Sis Pamela. I am finished decorating and just a few gifts to wrap. Or else, I am enjoying life to the fullest:)

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

I can relate. Thanks for the great advice to help us recharge.

Laura said...

Such good and timely advice, Pamela. I started this morning by oversleeping...getting the kids to school and myself to work provided a big adrenaline boost first thing. Now it's only 839am and I'm exhausted. I think I'll take your advice and spend a moment with God before rushing down o n the unit to see patients. Thank you.

Esther Joy said...

Timely advice for me with the stress of Internet challenges this week and setting up a new computer system. I especially liked #3&4!

Rebecca said...

I really appreciate these sane and practical suggestions for conserving AND creating fresh energy for body & spirit, Pamela. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Such good advice here! Thank you for sharing them and linking up at Simply Helping Him! Blessings!

Judith said...

I enjoyed this post and find it applies to January too!! Any time of the year our battery can be exhausted, especially after Christmas!! Thanks for linking up over at WholeHearted Home in December. I got caught into my family and had a very special time, blogging had to take a rest. My linkup is back up for today :-) and I hope to see you there.