Friday, January 25, 2013

The God of All Comfort

You don't have to be alone in your hurt! Comfort is yours. Joy is an option. And it's all been made possible by your Saviour. He went without comfort so you might have it. He postponed joy so you might share in it. He willingly chose isolation so you might never be alone in your hurt and sorrow.  Joni E. Tada


Photo by Kayla Graf
She stood before me, this child I love. My second Sarah who brings such joy. "I was sick last night," she told me. "I had a headache and I had to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's room." 

"Did that make you feel better?" I asked.

Her curls danced down her back as she nodded her head. "Mommy rubbed my hand." As if the rubbing took away the pain in her head.

Mothers are like that. I don't have a memory of my mother rubbing my hand, but ringing in my ears is the comforting, "Bless your baby heart." Words that I sometimes call just to hear even today.

But what do we do when our mommas aren't around? When we can't go into their room and sleep or call them on the phone? Times when it's not our head that's hurting, but our heart?  

A sharp disappointment, betrayal by a friend, an emotional or financial storm or an injustice to someone we love -- whatever it is that releases our tears and brings pain to our heart -- God sees.  

You’ve kept track of my every toss and turn through the sleepless nights; Each tear entered in your ledger, each ache written in your book.  Psalm 56:8
 

Photo by Kayla Graf
My God, who not only made the world, who gave His Son to die for my sins, my God who has planted joy in my heart, sees my pain. Not only that, He has recorded each of my tears, each of my heartaches in His ledger.   

Like rubbing Sarah Morgan's hand, like the sound of "bless your baby heart" through the phone, God comforts with His presence. And in the comfort, He makes it possible for us to share the comfort with others. 



He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.  (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)


Maybe that's why mommas are so good at making things feel better -- they've learned from the best, the God of all comfort. 


Linked to:






28 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, amen.

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

What a blessing this post was to my heart! Thanks so much, Lisa :o)

Shannon Wallace said...

There's no comfort like that in which the Lord offers and freely gives! :)

RCUBEs said...

You just confirmed why I had to insist over the "man-cold" that plagued my hubby...That was the " mother gene" HE started in me... None of our sufferings would ever compare to what our good Lord had gone through yet He did it because He loved us first. Thank you for blessing me with your visit. May you always remain strong in His mighty power. God bless.

joy said...

I can relate much to this post, growing up without my mother around. But God's comfort had been always there. Thanks for this post Pamela:)

Nell said...

thankyou for your comforting words and for sharing the love of our comforter.. a mothers love never leaves us. it is always there somewhere. I lost my mumma long ago, and my dad just a couple of months ago.. I know the comfort of my lord and do not know how others survive without it.
Thankyou for your post.
Blessing to you
Nell

Vilisi said...

It's comforting just reading this. God's presence is so reassuring. Thank you for sharing. God bless. :)

Elizabethd said...

How I miss my mother, who was always so able to shelter me through illness and storms.
I think we women tend to be mothers not only to our own children but to husbands, grandchildren and many others!

Melody said...

Beautiful.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

So cute...Amen to this about Mom

Buttercup said...

What a lovely post. I had a dear friend, much older than I am, who told me many years ago that no one on earth can comfort you like your mother can. She was so right!

Aritha V. said...

O thank you for this great post today! My mom couldn't give my comfort but I now Jesus is able to do it: every day, every night. For ever,

Anonymous said...

This is so comforting ~ thank you for posting.
Blessings,
Anne♥

Sharon said...

This touched me deeply. I am so lucky to still have my mom around. And yes, I frequently call her with my troubles and woes. She still says, "Oh, my sweet Sharon."

Somehow in her words, I hear the Savior say the same thing.

"Oh, My sweet Sharon. Come to Me..."

GOD BLESS!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this timely post. Bless you.

Deanna said...

Pamela, This is a wonderful post you have shared. Thank you for sharing. It is comforting to read.
God bless,
d

Alecia Simersky said...

Such a comforting post, made me think of my son, he loves to have his back scratched. He will just lay across my lap and ask for me to rub or scratch it, such a simple thing but it's always been so comforting to him, and I love that he lets me love him in this way.

Renee said...

What a lovely and comforting post...beautiful...and such a good reminder for ourselves.
Renee over at Adventures In Faithful Living.

Lisa said...

Such a beautiful post! Momma somehow can make everything better!LOL!
PS Thank you so much for your encouraging words and support! I'd be so honored for you to do a review of Mismatched Moira. Thanks again!

jdmsmith said...

What a fantastic heart filled message you have given us! This has touched me. In many ways. I will pass this on to my mom, who needs comfort as she takes care of her mom whom has dementia. God Bless you!!!

Unknown said...

Kiss and make it better. Thank you for this sweet post.

Karen said...

That verse 2 Cor 1:3-4 has come to mind many times when I've asked God, "WHY?" Thank you for a comforting post!

Unknown said...

Such a touching post, put together so beautifully. God has many names but one of my favorites is THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT. I cannot think of a time when I've needed comfort and not found His arms open, ready to hold me and wipe my tears.

Christina said...

That is a favorite quote of mine, from Joni. It's so comforting to know that He knows and cares. Blessings to you and thanks for this encouraging post!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post from a beautiful heart!

Ruth said...

I love the translation of the Ps. 58 verse. There are nights just like that, with tossing and turning and tears and aches. It is comforting to know he keeps track of all that, that he's cares. I'm taking a dose of this verse to bed with me, as needed.
Thanks!

Esther Joy said...

Beautiful post. Your photos complimented it so well and stirred my heart!

Anna said...

❤❤❤