Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Sheltering God

When I walk by the wayside, He is along with me. When I enter into company amid all my forgetfulness of Him, He never forgets me. In the silent watches of the night, when my eyelids are closed and my spirit has sunk into unconsciousness, the observant eye of Him who never slumbers is upon me. Thomas Chalmers 


As Snoopy would write, "It was a dark and stormy night..."  But it wasn't.  It was a "Snow on the ground, no coat sunny day" full of God-sheltering.  Why am I always amazed that God knows what I need?  

We were eager to attend the awards ceremony of the Heartland Regional Convention and cheer for Kayla. And then, with Eleanor and Kayla, celebrate those wins at Porta Valarita.  

Late afternoon we took Emily to meet her friend and mentor, Janet, to spend the night. Despite the 60 years that separates them, these two love each other so much and it brings me joy to watch them together.   

Janet loves people, and as I sat at Olive Garden last night, I thought, This is a woman who embodies the command to "grieve with those who grieve and rejoice with those who rejoice." Her spirit is a living example of our Savior.

Afterwards my RB and I had a little date together at Barnes and Noble. We worked a bit, talked a lot and soaked up the atmosphere you can only find in a bookstore.  

My stack of books didn't get as much attention as they do when I'm alone, but I did copy a few quotes. 

The lives that have been the greatest blessing to you are the lives of those people who themselves were unaware of having been a blessing.  (Oswald Chambers)

We are not sent into this world to do anything into which we cannot put our heart.  (John Ruskin)

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles. (Washington Irving)

If we learn how to give of ourselves to forgive others, and to live with thanksgiving, we need not seek happiness. It will seek us.  (Unknown)


Isn't it amazing when God shelters us?  When the oil of His presence soothes battered hearts?  And the knowledge of His care wraps around us like a warm blanket, shutting out the cold of our concerns? 

With David I praise, "You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head" (Psalm 139:5).  What a God, the only living God. The God who goes before me, yet follows me, too. The God who created me is the God whose hand of blessing I feel on my head.  Oh, how much He cares for me!






Linked to

15 comments:

Denise said...

Such a nice post.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

I'm glad that you guys had a nice time. Bless you, Pamela.

Kathy M.

Virginia said...

I love reading your posts... they're so full of love and everything positive.
Have a Blessed Weekend.

Unknown said...

What a lovely post. Great quotes. I especially love the Oswald Chambers one. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Encouraging quotes...

Ruth said...

Reading this post was like wrapping myself in a warm blanket of peace and sweetness. For all he's done and for all he is, I praise this God! Thanks for allowing us to share your joy moments.

Banessa's Delight said...

What a lovely Blog! It's all about the family.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

An uplifting post, and a beautiful blog. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I love discovering new friends along the way.

Cathy said...

Thanks for the encouraging post and beautiful hymn. Blessings ~

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Thanks so much for stopping by!!

We now have a Hobby Lobby that is about a half hour away from us but I have not yet had the opportunity to visit it yet....

Hugs,
Debbie

Nikki (Sarah) said...

this is so beautiful Pamela....it's got God written all over it and faith and hope and miracles.

Sharon said...

This was lovely, Pamela. One of the most amazing things to me about God is how He always finds ways to amaze me!!

May He teach me how to pass on His loving care and concern to others.

GOD BLESS!

Michell Pulliam said...

So grateful that He covers us! Thanks for the reminder...have a blessed evening! ;-)

Courtney said...

I especially like that Oswald Chambers quote. And I imagine the reverse is true too, that we are a blessing to others most when we least expect it. Thanks for this comforting post.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

lovely quotes, enjoyed them all. Chambers is among my favorite.