Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cross Boastings

When Paul preached "the cross" he preached a message which explained that this instrument of rejection had been used by God as His instrument of reconciliation. Man's means of bringing death to Jesus was God's means to bring life to the world. Man's symbol of rejecting Christ was God's symbol of forgiveness for man. This is why Paul boasted about the cross! ~Sinclair B. Ferguson

Who am I? I'm the daughter of Carl Cessna, a gentle giant of a man whose integrity and love mixes and shines from eyes that look like mine. I'm the wife of RB, the spiritual leader of my home and the love of my life. I'm the momma of two beautiful daughters -- both creative and committed to following God. 




Oh, but while I love my daddy, husband and daughters, I am more than the sum of these loves. I am a child of the living King! A daughter of the Most High. 

Red trucks make me think of my daddy. Pianos make me think of my RB. Smocked dresses and Stride Rite shoes make me think of my daughters. But when I think of Jesus, I think of the cross.  


With Paul my heart repeats, May I never boast about anything except the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ (Galatians 6:14). The crude and splintered 100-pound wooden cross Jesus was crucified on is only the symbol of this boasting. 

I boast in Christ paying the debt for my sins.  I boast in His shed blood that covers all my sin. While the Old Testament people only had the promise of a Savior, I have the reality of the cross.  

As my heart kneels at the cross, I boast in the plan and love of God who gave the perfect sacrifice, the voluntary sufferings of Jesus and the torn temple veil, giving me access to God through Christ.  So, friends, we can now—without hesitation—walk right up to God, into “the Holy Place.” Jesus has cleared the way by the blood of his sacrifice, acting as our priest before God (Hebrews 10:19).

John Bow­ring was sail­ing past the coast of Ma­cao, Chi­na. On the shore were the re­mains of an old, fire-gut­ted church. Above the ru­ins, he saw the church’s cross still stand­ing, and penned these words:

In the cross of Christ I glory,
Towering o’er the wrecks of time;
All the light of sacred story
Gathers round its head sublime.

When the woes of life o’ertake me,
Hopes deceive, and fears annoy,
Never shall the cross forsake me,
Lo! it glows with peace and joy.

When the sun of bliss is beaming
Light and love upon my way,
From the cross the radiance streaming
Adds more luster to the day.

Bane and blessing, pain and pleasure,
By the cross are sanctified;
Peace is there that knows no measure,
Joys that through all time abide.



On Bowring's tombstone are the carved words, In the cross of Christ I glory.



I glory in the cross. I boast in the cross.  With holy abandon I embrace the cross without regard to wooden splinters and stains of blood. For when I am embracing the symbol, I am boasting in the redemptive power of Christ. 

21 comments:

Beth said...

A very beautiful post!

Marilyn said...

We are blessed by the empty cross. Amazing Grace, indeed.♥♫

Denise said...

Lovely Pamela! I am just full of smiles after reading your post! Our freedom is the cross, and I am so blessed and thankful that God has given me the opportunity to approach Him with freedom and assurance. By trusting Christ we are loved, forgiven, and freed to live for Him. :)

Blessings my friend,
Denise

Karen said...

Thank you for this awesome post.

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

Amen!!!

Rebecca said...

I spent several hours this morning finding suitable pictures to illustrate our extended Scripture extending from the Triumphal Entry through the burial of our Lord. It will be read from Power Point in the service. The words and pictures ministered to my heart. Tears of sorrow and love poured out of me back at Him whose "sorrow and love flowed mingled down".... O, the WONDERFUL cross!

Lisa notes... said...

Boast in the cross. Yes! We can always do that and it's never a matter of pride for us, but pride in our Savior. Thanks, Pamela.

Annesphamily said...

Your words ring truth today. Thank you for sharing.

Jacqueline said...

I am also boasting in the cross of Jesus! I am so thankful for what He did for me and for us there! Thank you for sharing these vital truths with us. And it is so special to 'see' your family :)
I have never invited you to share over at Deep Roots At Home, but I will now. Your encouragement and exhortation is just what many of who visit are looking for. They may not all comment, but they do read! would you consider to link-up your meaty post(s) there each week? Thank you, sister! Praising the King of Kings.

Stephani Cochran said...

At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light . . .

Sharon said...

Oh, Pamela - this was absolutely beautiful. Like a piece of poetry! What a very lovely tribute to our blessed Savior. I found myself smiling to myself, nodding my head in agreement, and tearing up, too.

Yes, my only boast is in that old rugged cross - on which MY prince of glory, the dear Lamb of God, died for me.

Awesome.

GOD BLESS!

SuzyQ said...

Pam, my very talented friend, how I love to read your posts!
I especially appreciated this one today. We need to be reminded, from time to time, what the Gospel is all about. It so easily becomes clouded by things that do not matter.
Thank you so much for helping us see through our cluttered lives to the cross.
Blessings to you! and much Love!
Sue

Stephanie said...

Hello, sweet Pamela :) What a delight to visit you and read your posts. Thank you for sharing about our precious Lord. Yes, we can certainly boast in the Cross - how grateful I am to have a Savior that willingly went to the cross for me and the whole world. What love!

Have a blessed Sunday!

Hugs,
Stephanie

Denise said...

Such a nice post.

Visits With Mary said...

Thank you for such a beautiful and touching message this Palm Sunday morning.

Kelli Woodford said...

sweet and stilling reflections for a week of deep meaning. thank you.

RicKaren said...

Terrific post! Great thoughts to ponder this easter week!

Unknown said...

Such a lovely post!

Jayma | http://JaymasTips.blogspot.com

Ruth said...

Amen. Have a blessed Easter.

Unknown said...

Beautifully said!

Unknown said...

So much wisdom and beauty!