Saturday, March 2, 2013

Shopping for Grace:

Old post rediscovered:

To discover grace is to discover God's utter devotion to you, His stubborn resolve to give you a cleansing, healing, purging love that lifts the wounded back to their feet.  ~Max Lucado   


I. love. cookies. My mother's peanut butter cookies, frozen, with a glass of milk. Or her raisin-filled. My sister's sugar cookies. Missy's snicker-doodles. Melanie's molasses cookies. Sue's Amish sugar  cookies, Girl Scout Somoas, Pepperidge Farm Brussels... 




Which is why I don't make cookies often. I can leave the Oreo Ice Cream dessert and chocolate chip pie alone, but cookies dance around in the kitchen to get my attention. Even if I'm not in the kitchen, I can hear them playing around in there.  

But, when I saw the salted caramel chocolate chip cookies on Pinterest, I knew I had to try them. Oh no!...When RB got to the store, he called to report the bad news that there were no caramels. I wondered if all the cookie lovers in Muncie were trying the same recipe.  

Along with cookies, I. love. grace. Amazing grace. Marvelous grace. Grace that is greater than all my sin. Bestowed grace, empowering grace, and the grace that grows. Sufficient grace.  



Unlike the store without caramels, God's store of grace is never empty. Instead, each time I ask, there is grace sufficient. It's promised and I've never known a time when the grace shelf was empty.  

Today I felt like running to God's store and grabbing every kind of grace available -- filling my cart and arms, too. Then I was reminded: like manna, I don't need to hoard grace. Every day God stocks the shelves, ready for the needs of the world. 

"We are brought into God's kingdom by grace; we are sanctified by grace; we receive both temporal and spiritual blessings by grace; we are motivated to obedience by grace; we are called to serve and enabled to serve by grace; we receive strength to endure trials by grace; and finally, we are glorified by grace. The entire Christian life is lived under the reign of God's grace" (Jerry Bridges).



When we think we cannot face tomorrow -- God's grace is already there. It's grace that keeps us kind. Grace that responds to stubbornness with patience. Grace that can calm an angry heart. Grace that helps us keep our eyes on Jesus instead of those around us.

In myself, I am weak. But with Paul, it is in my weakness that God's grace and power is shown most clearly. When my "I-can't-do-this" meets God's "My-grace-is-sufficient" the shroud of life turns into a party dress.  

So if I look like I'm partying, I am. I've sent marvelous invitations of grace. I'm hanging garlands of amazing grace. I've baked a cake using abundant grace. I'm wrapping my packages and tying them with ribbons of empowering grace. I'm using all the grace available to me. 
      
With Paul, "...because God was so gracious, so very generous, here I am. And I’m not about to let his grace go to waste" (1 Corinthians 15:10).




21 comments:

Gayle said...

Sometimes on my way to work when I am so weary I pray, Oh Lord, I can't do this. I need your grace! And I am always amazed at how people come up to me after a class and tell me what the class meant to them. Grace, all grace!

Virginia said...

God's grace is truly amazing.

Esther Asbury said...

I've learned a lot about grace in the past 8 years -- and 1/2 of what I've learned is about passing on God's grace to others! "To whom much is given, much is required!" Wow -- I surely should be the most gracious lady alive -- still working on it... "by God's grace!" :)

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hello Pamela, your beautiful heart is reflected in your words. I look back in time and think how free we are today to read our bible and worship. I wonder if you have watched the DVD 'Luther' the story of Martin Luther's life and what he, like many before him, suffered to give us our freedom to pray and worship God without restraint. xx

Karen said...

Beautiful! Don't let God's grace go to waste!! I have to remember that!

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

Praise be to God for His amazing grace!

RicKaren said...

Grace and caramels--two of my favorite things as well!

Ross said...

Fantastic post today Pamela! It's been a while since I last checked in at your blog! Sorry! Things have been crazy and I don't get a lot of time to check all my friends blogs. His grace is so amazing!

Anonymous said...

Love the picture you have painted with your grace party--and the reminder that God has an unending supply of grace.
I'm glad you stopped by my blog today.

peace and joy
Carol

Sharon said...

Amazing grace, how can it be, that He loves me?!

Yes, always free for the asking...it covers me in forgiveness and peace.

I am partying, too!!

GOD BLESS!

(By the way, those cookies look yummy. I am intrigued by the idea of salty cookies...)

Ruth said...

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater, he sendeth more strength when the labors increase... came to mind when I read this. :) I'm in a study with other women right now in Ephesians. Speaking of grace, that Paul fellow never tires of talking about God's grace!
It does call for partying!
Let's dance in it!
Blessings,
Ruth

Becky said...

Thank you so much for posting this. On Sunday morning, I was thinking of songs to sing for Church that morning, when I decided to get on here to see if there was anything new. I was glad that I did, for this was a blessing for me that day. God's grace is truly what keeps me going, even when I slip up and fail, he is always there for me!!

Unknown said...

I love this thought that we don't have to hoard grace. It is always there and always can be found in abundance.

Anonymous said...

Such a marvelous post about grace.
Wishing you a delightful weekend.

Jenna said...

Those cookies look soooo good! This was a beautiful post!

Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

Hylaandpeterechols.com said...

Great quotes and I love cookie too!

Anonymous said...

Amen Pamela--God's grace is never in short supply! What a beautiful reminder.
(And thank you for making me giggle today--I think the Oreos in my house dance around too.)

Marie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Such a beautiful picture

"I've sent marvelous invitations of grace. I'm hanging garlands of amazing grace. I've baked a cake using abundant grace. I'm wrapping my packages and tying them with ribbons of empowering grace. I'm using all the grace available to me."

well said

Marie
@spreadingJOY
spreading-joy.org

Unknown said...

God's grace is never empty--there's such power in that statement!!

Inez said...

I love your ability to draw spiritual truths from the every day. :-)

Faith said...

Partying with grace. I'm a cookie girl, too!