Saturday, October 19, 2013

Sheltering Our Shepherds

If sheep do not have the constant care of a shepherd, they will go the wrong way, unaware of the dangers at hand. They have been known to nibble themselves right off the side of a mountain..... And so, because sheep are sheep, they need shepherds to care for them. The welfare of sheep depends solely upon the care they get from their shepherd. Therefore, the better the shepherd, the healthier the sheep. ~Kay Arthur


As you know, blessing others is a passion of mine.  I think too often we fail to show appreciation for the ways people invest in our lives. There are many inexpensive ways to thank people -- many without spending a dime.

Dan Plemmons, a pastor from Michigan, is honoring pastors in a unique way during this Pastor Appreciation Month.  Each day of this month he is posting an appreciation note for pastors who have impacted his life. Here is what he posted about the pastor we worked with for nineteen years. It's a worthy tribute.

Melanie and Emily with Pastor "Papaw" Sankey
The Pastor I have chosen to honor on this 3rd day of Pastor Appreciation Month is Rev. Leonard Sankey.

Bro. Sankey was only my pastor for approximately 1 year, but it’s pretty safe to say that I would have never re-entered the pastorate had it not been for his ministry.

No need for details, but when we started attending Faith Mission Church in Bedford, IN, I was totally burned out and pretty much washed up and had told my conference president that I had preached my last message and was leaving the pastorate – forever.

During the year that we attended FMC, Bro. Sankey & the entire church welcomed us with opened arms and just loved us and helped me to heal. We traveled 47 miles one way to attend Faith Mission Church and it was SO worth it!

Then came the phone call from my Conference President  saying that the Rochester Hills, MI, church was looking for a pastor and my name had surfaced. I said, “I’ll go and fill in for a Sunday and just preach to them if you want, but I have absolutely NO desire to ever pastor again.” He said, “OK, just go preach to them.”

We did, and when asked to pastor here 15 years ago, we accepted, and here we are. I doubt it would’ve happened without the loving, compassionate, caring, faithful ministry of Rev. Leonard Sankey.                                                                                        ~Dan Plemmons



I've had many pastors who have impacted my life.  From my childhood pastor, John Dye, to F. E. Satterfield during middle school, John Durfee who instilled a love of missions in me and who spent many years in Ukraine, and James Blackwelder who impacted my teen years -- all men of God and faithful in the little white church in Hillsdale, PA.

I've had very few pastors during our married life.  While James Beers wasn't my pastor, we traveled miles with him while RB directed the college choir or sang in the quartet. I loved hearing him speak each Sunday, yet his character and forgiving spirit did even more to advance my spiritual journey.

The Leonard Sankey of Dan's writings was so much more than a pastor -- he was our friend.  How I loved hearing him in the adjoining office, in the days before a mission trip back to his beloved Hondorus, reading his Bible in Spanish. He dedicated my babies, preached Sarah's funeral, baptized both girls and were a part of so many of our Bedford memories. 

Pastor Clemens
For the past twelve years it was Steve Clemens who shepherded me with his practical "where we are living" teachings. With each sermon, he pointed  me back to Scripture as the final truth. Steve Clemens is one of the most thankful men I know, never taking credit for what others do. 

And now, Roland Daniels is my pastor -- one who refuses to park in a marked pastor parking space near the sanctuary, but instead walks from the farthest point of the most distant parking lot.  He has a servant's heart and a we/us attitude. He focuses on people, how God has changed their lives and how they contribute to the body of Christ in our congregation and community.  He's not afraid to partner with other churches to accomplish servant tasks in the community.

How blessed.  I look back through these years at how these men have made it easy for me to come to God, live for Him and add my small part to His kingdom. I'm not just blessed -- but blessed beyond measure.

Who has shepherded you throughout your life? Maybe this month would be a good time to write a note of appreciation to them.

Linked to:


14 comments:

Natalie said...

What a blessing to read this tribute to the pastor's that have influenced and blessed your life. They sound like true servants of Christ. Thank you for sharing!

Jacqueline said...

Thank you for this insightful and needed word! What a special tribute you share. It has blessed my evening, Pamela.
God bless your weekend, sweet friend.

Denise said...

What a wonderful post of praise and acknowledgement to the men who have touched your live Pamela! You have encouraged me to send a special message of thanks to a pastor of mine long ago who impacted and mentored me greatly!

Blessings and love,
Denise

Annesphamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annesphamily said...

You are an awesome, kind heart who shares with us. I so apology, it has been some time, but I don't seem to get around as often as I did! I seem to get stuck at pinterest! I just love the freedom there. But I always think of you when reading my book of Book Lovers Devotions! You have written so many beautiful and thoughtful notes about these incredibly generous pastors. Thank you for sharing your heart here with us. Have a beautiful week! I also apology that I had to delete and rewrite my comment. Need my morning run to see more clearly. Hugs and Blessings, Anne

Marilyn said...

Thank you for a reminder to thank my own minister and let him know that he is appreciated! They are truly special people in our lives.♥♫

Esther Asbury said...

My favorite pastor happens to be my husband! He has a passion for the Word of God that is unequaled in anyone else I know. Between him and our adult SS teacher I've been challenged to grow in so many ways these past 8 1/2 years!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Beautiful tribute. I'm a preacher's kid, so this has special meaning.

Ceil said...

Hi Pamela! I do think it is important to recognize the gifts of our pastors. Just like the one leper who returned with thanksgiving, we should be that person to recognize what these holy people have done for us.

I'm willing to bet that many are unaware of their impact on their flocks...what a blessing it would be to tell them about it!
Peace,
Ceil

Lisa notes... said...

This is such a great suggestion because yes, our shepherds need tender care too! Thanks for sharing this and getting me thinking about who I can write to...

The Dickinsons said...

Pam, Thanks so much for your super sweet comment on my Fall decor on my blog. It was so fun hearing from you. And I loved this tribute to Dad Sankey and to your other pastors. How sweet.

Enjoyed reading some older posts. I loved the one, Why I write. So neat that God has let your dream come true. You do a great job writing and touching lives. =)

Blessings and Hugs,
~Heather~

The Dickinsons said...

Pam, Thanks so much for your super sweet comment on my Fall decor on my blog. It was so fun hearing from you. And I loved this tribute to Dad Sankey and to your other pastors. How sweet.

Enjoyed reading some older posts. I loved the one, Why I write. So neat that God has let your dream come true. You do a great job writing and touching lives. =)

Blessings and Hugs,
~Heather~

Sharon said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man. It's interesting - I've never really looked back and thought about the pastors in my life. But, I can see how they have impacted me greatly.

One such pastor wasn't actually one at my church. It was a minister that was the key speaker at a conference I went to in college. His words so impacted me, changed my view of Jesus - and I am so grateful for that.

GOD BLESS!

Pam Williams said...

Thank you for this post, Pamela. As a pastor's wife, I know how much pastors need to hear words of appreciation and encouragement. As hard as it is to believe, often, the few who grumble and complain are the only ones who speak up!