Thursday, October 17, 2013

Gifting Books: God's Shelter

RB had a hard week. One of his students recently lost his three-year-old son due to complications of an asthma attack. Heartbreaking, as those of us who have lost a child understand. This week, in the midst of extreme grief, his wife took her own life. RB spent hours listening to this young man, a youth pastor in a storm of unthinkable grief.

Where do we run to when silent lightening, with no warning thunder, streaks through our heart? When the accompanying rain soaks through our soul, leaving us wonder where we can go for shelter?  


Gift Shelia's book with an umbrella and
Betty Crocker's Chocolate Chip Heart Cookies.

 In God's Shelter For Your Storm, Sheila Walsh writes:
I saw something that was breathtakingly beautiful to me. I saw not only that all God's promises of shelter are fulfilled in Christ, but that He is our Shelter. He is the cleft in the rock. Christ's promise to us is not that He will give us shelter but that He will be our Shelter.
If you hear the distant rumblings of thunder, if the skeletal fingers of lightning burn into your soul and a seemingly unpenetrable curtain of grief rains on your heart, run to the Rock -- to Christ. He's waiting to not only shelter you, but to be your Shelter.






9 comments:

Terra said...

Beautiful how RB is ministering to his student, and heartbreaking about the child's and the mom's suicide. The book may bring some comfort.

SuzyQ said...

Pam, my heart was broken with your post, but encouraged because I know that you have grown and gained comfort from God in desperate times of storm.
I am praying for RB, that God will give him the words to say to comfort. I know this brings a lot of pain back to your minds, and I am asking God to shelter you with His wings.
Love always.
Sue

Mrs. Smith said...

That kind of pain seems unbearable, but as you clearly know so well, for those that will seek the Lord's shelter, and it is my prayer that this young man will, a deep intimacy with the Lord will result - a oneness with God that very few will experience. That is so apparent with you and your family and ya'll are such a blessing to others. It is plain to see that the Lord is already at work, giving him you and RB to help see him through such tragedy. I will be praying for him tonight...

Elizabethd said...

How unbelievably sad for this young man, for all of them. It is not easy to counsel someone in such deep grief, but God will send the words, or just the silence.

OurCrazyFarm said...

My prayers will be lifted for this young man and the hard trial that God has called him to. Come, Lord Jesus, is the cry of my heart today.

Sharon said...

Oh Pamela, I was so saddened by this news. That poor dear man. I scarce have words to express my sorrow. I pray that God is especially close to him in his grief, and that somehow he will find shelter in His peace.

I have a feeling that RB will be instrumental in guiding him there.

GOD BLESS.

Unknown said...

How terrible for that family! I cannot imagine the weight of that grief! "not that He will give us shelter but that He will be our shelter" — I needed this reminder today.

Christy @ A Heartening Life
www.ahearteninglife.com

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Pamela,

Your line about where do you go when lightning strikes was lovely.

Thanks, Pamela, for stopping by my post "Hungry for the Best day Ever?" How fun that our God says he delights IN US too!

Nice to talk with you again,
Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Esther Asbury said...

What on earth would we do without God to cling to (shelter us) in our times of storm?! SO THANKFUL for a loving Saviour and Friend to wrap His loving arms around us in times of pain/hurt!