Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Less...and More


For a disciple of Jesus the process of spiritual growth is a gradual repudiation of the unreal image of God, an increasing openness to the true and living God.  ~Brennan Manning

I've known for a while what my 2013 word(s) would be. For weeks they have been poking at my heart like my toddler daughters did when they wanted my attention. The less came first -- the knowledge that "stuff" needed to go for RB and I to go forward with our life goals. I have lists and plans and ideas and...you get it.  


But oh, the less of the last paragraph is only surface. My desire for 2013 is less of me and more of God. Colossians 3:2 tells me Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective.

The 4th verse goes on to say, For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. I want more of God to guide my Bible teaching, my writing, my friendships, my duties and my interactions in my home.  

I've claimed John 3:30 as my verse for the year: He must become greater and greater and I must become less and less.  

Less pride
       Less wants
            Less selfishness
                 Less self absorption 

These "lesses" will leave room for me to know God more deeply.  To learn more of Him through His Word. Paris Murray said, "If you desire to know God deeply, you must know God’s Word deeply. Along the way, something amazing takes place. The more you learn about the message of Christ, the more Christ is glorified; the more  God is made known to you, the more glory He is given."

Less of me so God's glory can be seen. That's my desire for 2013 -- that God's glory will draw the unsaved to Him and create a desire in those who belong to Him to crave more of Him.  


As the deer pants for streams of water,
So my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. 
Psalms 42:1, 2


* * * * *

This is my reading list for the year.  My goal is 50 books. I've left room for new, recommended (I love your recommendations) and/or some lighter novel reading.


  1. Crazy Love by Francis Chan
  2. Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God by Margaret Feinburg
  3. Looking Around for God by James A. Autry
  4. Living the Proverbs by Chuck Swindoll
  5. Refocus by Jim Daily
  6. Hollowed Be This house by Thomas Howard
  7. Bold Love by Bob Roberts, Jr.
  8. The World is a Potluck by Coleen Luntzel
  9. Soul Hunger by Gari Meacham
  10. Between the Lines: God is Writing Your Story by Bob Sorge
  11. Rooted: Reach Deep. Burn Bright. Stand Strong by Josh Foliart
  12. Hands of Love by Linda Cucci
  13. Story Craft by Jack Hart
  14. Doing Business With God: An Every Day Guide To Prayer & Journaling by Catrina J. Sparkman  
  15. My Bookstore by Ronald Rice
  16. The Bronte Sisters by Catherine Reef
  17. The Power of Half by Kevin and Hannah Salwen
  18. Cheaper, Better Faster by Mary Hunt
  19. The Stuff Cure by Dr. and Mrs. J. Sproule
  20. This I know: Unraveling the Heart by Susanna Conway
  21. Tattoos on My Heart by Gregory Boyle
  22. Please Pass the Faith: The Art of Spiritual Grandparenting by Elsie H R Rempel
  23. A Homemade Year by J. J. Greer
  24. Spiritual Simplicity by Chip Ingram
  25. Love and Salt by Amy Andrews
  26. The Blessed Woman by Debbie Morris
  27. The Language of Blessing by George Barna
  28. My Heart is Boundless (Writings of Abigail May Alcott--Louisa's mother) by Eve LaPlante
  29. The Lazy Couponer by Jamie Chase
  30. Wrecked: When a broken world slams into your comfortable world by Jeff Goins
  31. Love Does by Jeff Goins
  32. Try Giving Yourself Away by David Dunn
  33. Anonymous: Jesus Hidden Years...and Yours by  Alicia Britt Chole
  34. Where Do You Get Your Ideas by Fred White
  35. Lord, Deliver Me From Negative Self Talk by Lynn Davis
  36. 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life by Crystal Paine
  37. Reversing Diabetes by Don Colbert
  38. Radical by David Platt
  39. Deliver Us From MeVille by David Zimmerman
  40. How I Make Money Blogging by Crystal Stemberger
  41. Getting Rid of it by Betsy Talbot
  42. The Greatest Principle: Finding Significance and Joy by Serving Others by Jennifer Henson
  43. Dream Save Do by Betsy Talbot
  44. My Father's House by Marja Meijers

Linked to:
Missional Women





30 comments:

Buttercup said...

My word is (en)joy,and my goal for reading is a book every week. Looking for guest book reviewers, too! Please stop by.

Nell said...

Thankyou for posting your reading list..I am always on the hunt for good books and your list has given me a lot to look for. I love reading but often don't remember what I have read in what book..
thankyou for your post..I agree less of me more of him.
Blessings Nell

Rebecca said...

Oh, my sweet friend! My heart beats with yours. In EVERY way.

I just finished reading Anonymous: Jesus' hidden years...and yours by Alicia Britt Chole. I recommend it -- and will be using your list as a springboard for more reading this year.

May God bless you ABUNDANTLY as you honor Him with joyful obedience.

J said...

Beautiful. I have been trying to move in that direction, too!

HopeUnbroken said...

i like this--especially how "less" should not be a goal in and of itself, but rather only serves as an avenue to "more" of Him.
blessings to you as we begin the new year of walking with Him,
steph

Courtney said...

Ah yes, what a wonderful way to approach a new year. I will carry your mantra with me. And I like that version of the verses from Colossians - "don't shuffle along" - I can just envision that and am guilty! Thank you :)

enthusiastically, dawn said...

My word for last year was "Less" this year it is "Release". I love your reading list!

Anonymous said...

This is such an inspiring post, and this verse has been in my heart too. Thank you for sharing. xx

Unknown said...

Oh yes Pam! Less and More! That is exactly what I am praying for this year. More of Him, More time with my sweet family, More of his presence. Less stuff, less distractions...

Glenys Nellist said...

50 books is a great goal! I love Jesus Calling, a daily devotional by Sarah Young.

Kelly said...

Love this word! Definitely one I'm praying much more about as I get ready to meet this baby girl of mine. As always, I appreciate you and your caring heart!

Sharon said...

I appreciate you posting your reading list. I'm quite an avid reader, and I'm always looking for new things to read - I might *borrow* a few titles from your "library".

I am inspired by your words for 2013. Yes, less of me and more of God - that would sum up my feelings, too. My word for 2013 is DIRECTION. Wanting to know what God wants me to do in my new mountain town, and that He will DIRECT my path into HIS purposes.

I trust that you and your family had a wonder-full holiday season.

GOD BLESS!

Beyond Sunday Mornings said...

Less really is more, when think about it!

Christina said...

Being lessened so that you can be filled with more is a wonderful goal for this year. I love the Manning quote. And Crazy Love is the perfect book to start off the year. I'd also add Radical by Platt and Seven by Hatmaker to that list.

RicKaren said...

Less of me, more of God is such a worthy goal for the new year! I always enjoy your blog and your comments on mine, make my day!

Denise said...

My word is healing.

Unknown said...

I read Crazy Love this evening. Great way to start the year. I always try to read 52 books/year, but never quite make it. I love your list.

BelovedBomber said...

my word is embarq

Renee said...

I also have two words this year! Trust and rest....both connected for me. I love your list of books and plan to read Crazy Love myself this year among others. Less and more...I think many of us could benefit from that. God bless you. Always enjoy your writing.
Renee from over at Adventures in Faithful Living (www.myautumnyears.blogspot.com) where I shared my own words 365 :)

Anonymous said...

My word for this year is steadfast. John 15:5 reminds me that I can only be steadfast if I am rooted and grounded by Jesus. He is the vine!

Love your book list.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Thank you for sharing your reading list. I am always looking for new reads and these look really good!

Making Memories 1999 said...

"Less of me and more of God"... what a wonderful year goal...and actually a good life goal. =) My verse for this year, is Psalm 19:14, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strenth, and my redeemer."

Also, thanks for posting your book list. I always like to hear of good books to read, and I think I may try a few of those myself. Thank you!

Blessings to you and your family in this new year.

Esther Asbury said...

I love your motto for this year! I want the same principle to guide my life as well.
My words for this year came to me from a conversation I had with the Pam we share! God brought my own words back to convict me and challenge me this year...."Love is kind!" Actually the whole love chapter could use some work in my life.
My goal is to find more/diverse ways to exercise kindness in my life -- both in the form of sheltering (as in putting my own wants/wishes aside and spending more time for others) and in the form of my attitude/response to those with whom I "clash" in personality/ideas/etc.
Thanks for sharing your heart -- I always enjoy reading your honest confessions. They encourage me that I'm not alone in my struggles on this journey towards Heaven.

Lisa notes... said...

Less of me, more of Him. We all need to resolve that for 2013 and forever. Great choice.

I love your book list, too. I started Storycraft this weekend. Very good so far. And finished Tattoos on My Heart last week. Excellent! You'll love it.

I'll look forward to how your year will go!

Ruth said...

You're expressing my heart's desire to become less so He becomes greater. How big mySELF is! I have to keep my eyes on His greatness and faithfulness and that what He's started in me he will see to completion. I can't make it happen, but He can. Blessings to you.

Anita Johnson said...

I am going to bookmark your reading list, I am always looking for recommendations. I so appreciate what you wrote and when I stop by your blog I will say a prayer for your desire to become less and God more. Your post made me stop and think about my own spiritual journey...thanks for the inspiration to follow my Savior more closely.

Charlotte said...

Wow, that is quite a book list. I see several that spark my interest...if only I didn't have a huge pile already waiting for me:) I like your less...and more goal, I too want more of God and less of me. I've found that its not always a comfortable thing because sometimes the process involves turning me upside down (figuratively)and pouring me out:)But it's always good, because God replaces what is poured out with something better...something of Him.

SARAH MAGES said...

lovely. exactly what i have in my mind as i entered into 2013..more of GOD and less of me! thanks for sharing and be full blessed!

Marja Verschoor-Meijers said...

Oh how I love your words! That scripture is so powerful, less of me, more of Him! Blessings to you.
PS: I love your reading list.

Donna Wilkes said...

I came over from your comment left on my post. We do share our affirmation words for the year. I think LESS is a concept everyone should embrace to let others into your life.