Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tasting God's Goodness


O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need for further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. ~A. W. Tozer


The Clemens Kitchen was ready for business -- the sign hung, the menus and place mats printed, and the silverware rolled. The cash register was even full of money.

Then they came.  The nine-year-old cook and waiter, the seven-year-old cashier, the five-year-old and two-year-old customers, along with too-many-year-old grandma. What fun!

Our orders were taken, cooked and served. The only hitch -- two-year-old Camron just didn't understand "air food." He was happy playing with his plate and place mat. Despite our assurances that the food was good, Camron was not impressed.

How often do we refuse to eat the food of the goodness of God? He says, "Oh taste and see that the Lord is good" (Psalm 34:8).  In our refusal of His food, we miss out on God's good blessings.

Like the disciples who almost missed out on a banquet of bread and fish because they didn't like the schedule Jesus had.

Like the children of Israel whose grumbling nearly caused them to miss out on heaven's choicest cut of manna. 

Like we who often refuse the Bread of Life in our search for earthly bread that will never satisfy.


Camron enjoyed his food when we decided to put a sandwich cookie on his plate. He even asked for another cookie. Why? Because the food was real, and only real food satisfies. 

The world tries to satisfy us with fame, fortune and surface friendships.  But they don't satisfy.  We need the Bread of Life offered to us by our Heavenly Father.  

So "taste and see that the Lord is good," but make sure you are tasting the true Bread. It is then you will be satisfied.


* * * * *


Spiced Pumpkin Plus Bread 

I was intrigued with the two ingredient bread, (spice cake mix and 15 oz can of pumpkin) but thought it needed some texture. Most of my family will vote to add chocolate chips to any recipe. So add a cup of chocolate chips, raisins, chopped apples or pears -- whatever you have on hand.  Then add this yummy topping: 1/2 cup of coconut, 1/2 cup pecans, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tbs coconut oil. Bake 350 degrees for 50 minutes. It's still quick and easy -- and oh, so yummy!

Linked to:




10 comments:

SuzyQ said...

Such a neat idea, Pam! You are so creative! and I will try the Pumpkin recipe!

Elizabethd said...

What fun! I remember the thrill of 'playing shops' and serving customers!

Rebecca said...

"Air" food...what a great nomenclature! I always enjoy watching the expressions on my grandchildren's faces when I pretend. Once assured that it's OK, they join the fun :)

Aritha V. said...

Great idea and sweet pics. I love this post, Pamela!

Esther Asbury said...

The Clemens kids have one sweet grandma -- looks like a lot of fun!
Love your quote at the beginning of this post, and I found myself praying along!

Brenda said...

We need bread for the physical in this world and also bread for the spirit, and God has supplied both. You have a lovely family and a very close relationship with them.

Sharon said...

A wonderful lesson! And so true. I am battling a bit of discontent lately, and needed to be reminded that the daily manna provided by the Lord is JUST the nourishment I need!

Wish the Clemens Kitchen was closer to me. I'd love to dine there!

GOD BLESS!

jviola79 said...

I am visiting from Thriving Thurs. I actually clicked on your post because it spoke of the very same verse that I wrote on this morning. I love when God works that way :) What a creative way to teach children how we will truly be "fed". And I am definitely going to try your pumpkin recipe which sounds great. So glad that I stopped & visited!
Have a great Thurs.!
Joanne

Esther Joy said...

You were in our Ozarks? I wish I could have met you! Am I going to have to wait till heaven? LOL!

The pumpkin bread sounds wonderful. I'm assuming you bake it with the topping on?

Ceil said...

Oh Pam! This was such a good reflection on the food of the Lord. And I remember having little restaurants in the kitchen when I was a girl. We drank a lot of water...in the glasses, as a substitute for soup...too fun!

But may I always be satisfied with the Bread of Life!
Blessings!
Ceil