Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Readers of the Soul

The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it.                                                                                                 ~James Bryce

Do any of you feel like you cannot put a finished book on the shelves before you share parts of it? It's like an inner fire that ref
uses to go out until someone else responds with the same awe I have. 

I've shared my gleanings with friends who looked at me with glazed eyes and said, That's good, sounds interesting or I'll have to read that, and you know they have no idea how profound and soul-lifting or heart-wrenching the book was. It takes a lover of truth to understand.

Soul readers get excited.  Eyes sparkle -- there's that hesitation when you know they are ingesting the words deep into their soul, and, like yourself, will be changed by the thought. And then with a satisfying sigh we'll settle in, words handed back and forth and sometimes jumbled together, new truth discovered and held with awe for the other's inspection.  

Soul readers ingest more than one book at a time.  I have a Kindle and love it.  But there are still books I am reading all around me.  I'm always pulling a few old friends off the shelves, buying one that's not yet on Kindle, borrowing one from a friend. On any given day I may be hungry for different truth and will pick up one and then another to glean my manna for the day.  

It's hearing, Mom, this is a book you'll love and Momma, listen to this. It's reading, Auntie, I thought of you when I read this.  It's a mother listening to my excitement and a sister calling to share a book she's reading.  It's heart sisters who reach for the words I've read across the miles and treasure them.  It's blog friends sharing comfy old friends they have read over and over, and new ones with spines unbroken and free of margin scribbles.  

Even more than man's books, it's leather covers opened on holy ground. Prophets and apostles of old writing down words inspired by our Heavenly Father.  Words written hundreds of years ago, yet words that still burn in our hearts today. I ams and thou shalts mingled together with miracles and warnings and beautiful songs.   

If, as James Bryce says, the worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it, then we know the worth of this book is the one to treasure above all others. Reading books about the Bible will never take the place of these inspired words.  Words that we hide in our heart, that cause us to rejoice in the laws as much as riches and which help us to walk in holiness.  

Embossed Hebrew names of God cascade down the cover of my Bible, and as I glance up from my computer to view the Book,  I'm reminded how much I love sitting across from Him, discussing new truth, rejoicing in truth learned in times past and feeling my heart swell with the beauty of the words.  I think God loves hearing, Listen to what I read, because He settles in to share my joy.




35 comments:

Unknown said...

Book conversations are the best! And you know what? I just thought, "Auntie would love this book!" the other day, and I just can't figure out now which one it was! I'll let you know when I remember. :)

Unknown said...

Found this on the PrettyBooks Tumblr (http://prettybooks.tumblr.com/post/29272903662):

"Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans READ THE BOOK." --John Green

BelovedBomber said...

I love to read! I kind of forgot how much for a brief season when my kids were all little. There is just something about imagining what you are reading. Reading the Bible gives us that intimate time with our Lord, communicating with Him. I need that!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this with us friend...blessings

Amy Sullivan said...

Oh, I can relate to this! I'm the girl always rambling on about the latest "must read"!

Terra said...

I know I would enjoy talking to you and sharing about books and authors; I am a soul reader too, and often keep a fiction book after reading it and look for someone to give it to. Sometimes I give them away on my blog because I want someone else to read them too.

sharon said...

Both my sister and I are soul readers and even though we are thousands of miles apart, we will phone or email each other tell the other of the latest book we have discovered only to find that they have just discovered it too. Do you keep certain books and reread them over and over? I have some like that. But none like the bible that is so treasured, that I even stroke it lovingly! Mind its cover is of soft leather!

Denise said...

True, true, true.

HeARTworks said...

Sometimes I get frustrated because there are so many books to read! I have books all over the place, and now on my Ipad too! And then there are all the inspiring and uplifting blogposts too! Patsy from
HeARTworks and
papemelroti

Joan Hall said...

Pam - I love to read. I recently ordered a book to review from Blogging for Books and can't wait for it to come in the mail. It is by James Robison and is titled Lord of all Creation.

I also pull favorites off the shelves (it is hard for me to part with many of my books).

Blessings,
Joan

Unknown said...

A feeling I know well, myself. Thanks for a lovely WFW visit. :)

Esther Asbury said...

Perhaps this is why I enjoy the small book club my friend started this year...because I can share and discuss with like minded readers! Too bad you don't live closer - it would be fun to have you attend!

Anonymous said...

What a great term, Pamela - soul readers - and so I ever know how lonely it is getting those blank stares back after an enthusiastic verbal review on my part. Wishing to scoop another into the joyful fray - but, alas - books are solitary things and I am learning to snuggle deep into my volumes with the company of the Holy Spirit, knowing that He can make our experience there fruitful to another - soul reader or not - in His time.
Joy!
Kathy

HopeUnbroken said...

oh, i love this, and yes, i can relate! soul food, a good book is. i've got several i'm "in" to right now. some for practicality, some for pure joy, some for profundity. and i love having the selection :-)
blessings to you this day! thanks for sharing this.
steph

Ms. Kathleen said...

I just love meeting fellow book lovers! I'm constantly reading - at least two at a time - one fiction, one non fiction. Have a blessed day!

http://thejoyfulservant.com

Chelle said...

So very true.

Cathy said...

I enjoyed your post. I need to read more. Blessings ~

Unknown said...

beautiful post Pamela. I am a soul reader through and through. I have just had a hard time reading since Jonathan went to heaven. I have to say this post inspired me and made me hungry for a good book :)

Unknown said...

Pamela,

I cannot tell you how happy I am to have found you again! I left the blogging scene (Me, You, and Creamed Corn) for awhile after a tragedy in our family and I am now returning a couple years later by sharing My Year Long Journey:

www.myyearlongjourney.com

Your blog was one of my favorite daily stopping places for wisdom and encouragement. When I saw you on Blog Frog this morning, it was like a breath of fresh air.

Looking forward to new beginnings and gleaning as much as I can from you, friend!

Marisa

Marissa Writes said...

I totally know what you are talking about - finding those people you can share your love a just finished book is hard work - you have to treasure such people while they are in your life. That is what I miss most about my grandma.

thank you so very much for linking up with cozy book hop and sharing this great post!

Marissa @ forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

Courtney said...

How perfectly you capture the love of books! I'm a soul reader like you - and I love my Kindle, too.

Renee said...

I always find grace and hope when I stop in at the Sheltering Tree. Thanks for your lovely words of encouragement, Pamela. I appreciate you. Blessings!

LOLITA said...

The Bible has all the weight which James Bryce says about.

IT has the answer to every life question and instructions how to live and to have full knowledge of the Author.

Thanks, Pamela.

Daisy said...

Such a great quote! It is so delicious to share gems from books with people who enjoyed the book as much as you did. God bless!

Sylvia R said...

Lovely. Just lovely. And I share your love.

Esther Joy said...

Great post! You carried me along with your powerful words!


In case you have two comments from me - my computer kind of froze, and I don't think the other one went through.

LisaShaw said...

Hi Pamela,

I enjoyed my visit...You had me on the opening quote you used at the start of this post. Enjoyed the post!

Blessings to you!

Melanie N. Brasher said...

beautiful post, Pam! "soul reader" I like that term!

Melanie N. Brasher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love chatting about a good book with a good friend! I love the term "soul reader".

Thanks for linking up with WIP Wednesday!

Joy (Aesther) said...

Nice post! I love reading too haha :D God bless ya! :D

LeAnn said...

I like you love books. I always have a few that I am reading at a time. However, there is nothing that an beat the reading of th scripturs. I have a great love for them. I love the Bible with the New Testament. There are such examples, stories, and experiences that have lifted me in a moment of struggle.
I loved this post and enjoyed reading it.
Blessing!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Lovely post and I'm an avid book reader; much prefer books but use a Kindle sometimes.

Glenda said...

I totally agree! I love your beautiful word picture of sitting across from Him!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela! I didn't know that there was a name for being what we are, Soul Readers, but I am one too! I cannot imagine not loving to read or not leaving the house without my book. I don't have a Kindle yet, and I don't really think that I need one. I read in the afternoons and evenings after my work is done and my back needs a rest.

Thank you so much for the wonderful post, as yours always are.

Hugs,

Kathy M.